Terminating an employee can be a delicate matter that comes with a host of organizational, emotional and legal concerns. Missteps in the process could result in additional costs for your company, disruptions to business, and potential lawsuits, so it is important to ensure this task is carried out carefully.
How Termination Services Can Help
When you need to part ways with an employee for any reason, the human resources professionals at Smart HR can offer valuable guidance with termination services throughout the process, including:
- Pre-termination actions, including performance issues related to the employee and any complaints they have filed
- A review of the circumstances that have led to the decision to let an employee go
- Identifying any possible issues and concerns to reduce the chances of legal action
- Guidance in developing liability-limiting paperwork
- Assistance determining the best time to move forward with the termination
- Developing termination paperwork, including a termination letter, unemployment documents and COBRA information
- Creating talking points and scripts that can be used in the termination meeting
- Telling an employee their services are no longer needed
- Arranging security measures
- Managing the terminated employee’s final paycheck and paid time off
- Getting company property returned
- Informing other employees of staffing changes
- Replacing the employee, if applicable
Reduction In Force Services
Smart HR also offers reduction in force services for those occasions where a larger downsizing is needed. Our team can help with the following aspects of reductions in force:
- Developing a downsizing plan, with careful consideration given to the timing of the layoffs and the selection of the roles that will be impacted
- Determining the selection criteria, such as seniority, performance, and skills
- Reviewing the roles that will be eliminated to ensure there will not be a negative impact on protected classes
- Developing voluntary separation and early retirement plans
- Preparing WARN Act notices
- Reviewing union implications and collective bargaining agreements
- Managing paperwork for affected employees, including exit terms and packages and outplacement services
- Coordinating and overseeing termination meetings
- Security planning
We can also assist with other types of separation from employment, such as leaves of absences, resignations and retirement.
Benefits Of Smart HR’s Termination Services
Outlined below are just a few of the benefits of outsourcing terminations to Smart HR.
We Can Ensure Compliance
Our human resources professionals stay on top of legislative changes and updates to employment law to ensure that your company remains compliant throughout the termination process.
We Provide An Independent Perspective
Emotions can cloud judgment when it comes to employee termination matters. If you have any doubts about whether an employee should be terminated or how it should be done, our consultants can assess the situation and provide you with an unbiased opinion to guide your decision.
Get In Touch With Smart HR
Whether your company already has a well-defined process for employee termination and performance reviews or you have yet to implement a structured approach, we can make the termination process as smooth as possible while minimizing risk. Reach out to the professionals at Smart HR to find out how we can help you navigate this challenging aspect of business.