HR management consulting is when a business engages with an HR consultant to perform the company’s HR tasks. Broad in scope, these tasks range from daily HR operational assistance to implementing HR processes, programs and practices. The Society for Human Resource Management describes HR consultants as able to “perform advanced, specialized and administrative duties in a designated human resource program or section area” and provide high-level support in the administration of a company’s human resources program.
What Are HR Management Consultants?
More specifically, HR consultants can assist with a company’s recruiting and hiring efforts, establish competitive compensation and benefits’ packages, performance management, legal compliance, employee relations and organizational development. HR consultants can also provide strategic assistance to ensure HR policies and procedures align with business objectives and corporate mission.
How HR Management Consultants Can Help Your Company
Whether you need to build an HR infrastructure from the ground up or simply establish a new PTO policy, HR consultants can help. Here are just a few common ways a seasoned HR consultant can help your company:
- Examine pay practices such as starting salaries, hiring bonuses and raises to ensure no disparities exist among protected classes
- Prepare total compensation statements for employees showing complete pay package awarded to them on an annual basis, including both direct (salary) and indirect (insurance premiums, PTO, etc.) compensation
- Customized performance appraisal tool and guidance for implementation
- Conduct audit of FLSA classifications to ensure correct exempt/non-exempt status
- Draft and/or update employee handbook, job descriptions, training materials
- Use salary surveys to ensure salaries are competitive and in line with industry norms
- Examine recruiting and hiring procedures to ensure access to the best candidate pools
- Implement employee recognition programs and awards in non-traditional areas such as rewarding the ability to manage or champion change, innovation, systems improvement and client retention
- Address employee performance issues in a legally-compliant manner that minimizes the impact on business productivity
- Train management on best practices and employment law to mitigate legal liability.
- Transform the HR department from an administrative office to one that boosts employee engagement and helps drive corporate success
- Assist and advise on matters pertaining to special projects, such as staffing reorganizations, consolidations or expanding into new business lines
- Develop methods for compiling and analyzing data to measure productivity, identify workforce inefficiencies and recommend corrective action
- Conduct an HR audit to identify areas in which change/improvement is needed
- Administer complex FMLA and regional leave laws, establish leave policies, manage employee leave or address a specific leave issues
- Develop and present training sessions related to HR matters for management and employees
No matter whether your company is large or small, human resources, and all its related tasks, is likely one of your biggest expenses. Hiring competent and professional HR employees to handle your company’s HR functions or special HR projects requires a substantial investment of your company’s resources. For small and medium sized businesses perhaps stretched a bit thin on human and financial resources, engaging with an HR consultant could be the most productive and cost efficient way to handle your human resources and positively affect your bottom line.
Contact the Professionals at Smart HR for More Information
Make the most of your company’s resources. Whether your company needs ongoing HR support, assistance with a specific HR project or issue, or strategic insight on how to make the most of your human capital, Smart HR can provide exactly what your company needs. Call today!